Study Abroad

The SoA strongly encourages international study, providing future architects with a competitive advantage in an increasingly globalized milieu. Accordingly, our students are offered a range of opportunities to study across the globe through the spring semester program in Rome + Istanbul for our eligible Fourth-Year undergraduate students and a summer study abroad program in Japaninternational exchanges, and traveling fellowships. Explore each, below.


The David R. Ravin School of Architecture supports student research abroad through the Traveling Fellowship Program and several other travel scholarships. Click each box below to expand on the different fellowships and scholarships available.

The AIAC/David R. Ravin School of Architecture Traveling Fellowship

The Traveling Fellowship Program is hosted and funded annually in conjunction with the AIA Charlotte Section of the Institute of Architects (AIA).  The purpose of the program is to recognize and reward excellence in the study of architectural design and to provide the opportunity for travel and exploration of research topics as part of a student’s program enrichment.

The $5,000 Traveling Fellowship is awarded to a UNC Charlotte SoA student for travel and study in or outside the continental USA in the summer following the award.  All students who meet the minimum eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply and submit a proposal for research travel. All proposals are reviewed by AIACharlotte and Ravin School of Architecture faculty with a awardee forwarded to the Scholarship Committee Chair. For questions and additional information, please contact the scholarship committee chair by sending a message to

David R. Ravin School of Architecture Scholarships for Off-Campus Study

The David R. Ravin School of Architecture provides Director’s funding for regular and summer coursework that involves off-campus study. These scholarships include:

Semester Abroad in Rome Scholarship (awarded for the spring semester)

Graduate Summer Abroad Scholarship (awarded for summer travel)

For questions and additional information, please contact the committee chair by sending a message to

Office of Education Abroad Travel Scholarships

The UNC Charlotte Office of Education Abroad offers several travel scholarships to UNC Charlotte students who wish to study abroad.  They award scholarships once per year for travel during the following academic year.  The application process typically opens at the end of the fall semester and closes in February. Awards are available in the following academic year. For more information, please visit the OEA’s website.


Another option open to students interested in studying abroad is participation in an International Exchange. Though a competitive application process, International Exchanges offer students the opportunity to study at a University with which UNC Charlotte has an existing relationship for one or two semesters during the regular academic year.  Students who participate in an International Exchange generally travel during their fourth year of study at the SoA.

UNC Charlotte has existing relationships with the architecture programs at the following universities:

  • Delft University of Technology (Delft, Netherlands)
  • Henry van de Velde Institute (Antwerp, Belgium)
  • Kingston University (London, England)
  • Lund Institute of Technology (Lunds, Sweden)
  • Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts (Copenhagen, Denmark)
  • University of Copenhagen (Denmark)
  • University of Applied Science (Aachen, Germany)

Participating students must meet with their home academic advisor before their trip to develop a study plan and choose classes at the host university. The Office of International Programs handles the transfer of credit hours upon their return to UNC Charlotte, which must be approved before departure. Students pay regular UNC Charlotte tuition and fees, and are responsible for their own travel, housing, and board arrangements in the host country. Learn more about exchange programs.

For more information about study abroad programs or how to apply to the International Exchange program, visit the Office of Education Abroad, a division of the Office of International Programs.