Je’wel Lucas

Je'wel

Degree: B.A. in Graphic Design
Hometown: Winston Salem, NC
Graduation Year: 2026

How did you first get interested in art?
I am a multidisciplinary artist. Since my childhood, I have always had an affinity for making things and being creative. I have explored many mediums, such as painting, clay, screenprint, and I have recently discovered my love for collage and graphic design. I chose this field of study because I think it’s a great way to combine my love for creative expression and my more logical, systematic way of thinking. 

What kind of career do you hope to have?
I am building a fulfilling, creative career with lots of excitement, growth and passion. I am not sure what exact career this will create for me but when I am able to use my skills and explore my creativity I feel most successful. 

What is your favorite thing about the Department of Art & Art History?
I enjoy the endless opportunities for learning and growth. I have learned so much in my classes already and my professors and peers are constantly encouraging me to push past my boundaries and grow. 

Do you participate in any community activities or work in the Charlotte arts community?
I work as a Mentor-Artist at Lorien Academy. The organization partners with Title 1 CMS schools to bring arts to the classroom. I love the work I am doing with Lorien because it allows me to make a direct impact on the youth and do something I love. 

Student posing in front of painting

When you are not in class, studying, or working, what do you like to do for fun?
I love making art! Lately, I have a focus on mixed media collage- a technique I explored in my 2D class. I also love a good book, exercising, and spending time with loved ones.