International Student Applicants

The David R. Ravin School of Architecture welcomes applications from international students interested in graduate studies at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The information below should provide an overview of key concerns, but for more information about the application process for international students in general, see the Graduate School International Admissions website.

For more information about on campus resources for foreign students, please explore all the information on the website of the International Students / Scholars Office

English Language Proficiency

For admissions to UNC Charlotte, we require demonstrated English proficiency with an IELTS overall minimum score of 6.5, a minimum paper-based TOEFL score of 577, or a minimum internet-based TOEFL score of 83.

Applicants who do not meet the minimum English language proficiency requirement will not be admitted to UNC Charlotte. They may, however, choose to enroll at UNC Charlotte’s English Language Training Institute (ELTI) and then re-apply to the Graduate School. For details, see the ELTI website.  

Visas and Enrollment for International Students

International students admitted to a graduate program at UNC Charlotte must confirm their intent to enroll before the University can begin paperwork for the F-1 or J-1 visa. As part of the online enrollment form, and prior to generation of visa documents, international students must provide a financial certification and information regarding dependents who will be accompanying the students. For more detailed information about post-acceptance requirements, included applying for a U.S. visa, please see the UNC Charlotte web page for Enrollment Requirements for New Intentional Applicants  and  Information for New International Students

Housing for International Students

There are dormitories and other housing options on campus as well as many apartments for rent within walking distance of the university. For more information about on-campus housing, please see the Housing and Residence Life website.

Health Insurance for International Students

All international students studying at UNC Charlotte (on F-1 or J-1) are required to have health insurance provided the Student Health Center. The costs for this will be billed automatically to their tuition bills. For more information, please see the Health Center's Insurance web page.