Kelli Crockett

Kelli Crockett

Independent Artist and Art Teacher at Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte, NC

Education: BFA in Painting, BFA in Digital Media, and a Minor in Art History, UNC Charlotte (2023)

Hometown: Birmingham, Alabama

Kelli Crockett cannot remember a time where she was not fascinated by art or inspired to create. However, for many years it was only a hobby that she had grown up doing, but when she reached high school, she began to consider it as a viable career option. 

“My high school art teachers were the voices who inspired me to pursue my dreams of living a life immersed in art, and UNC Charlotte was the place that made it possible. I love my job as an art teacher because I can be that encouragement for young artists, and I’m even teaching in the same classroom (and school) where I first realized I could be an artist, too.”

She said her time at UNC Charlotte allowed her to grow and improve her creative skill as well as provide her with integral skills like critical thinking, problem solving, public speaking, time management, social awareness, and research strategies that she uses in all different areas of her life.

“My education was extremely impactful for teaching art, especially because I was able to experience such a diverse range of art-making during my time there. I feel confident teaching many different media/topics and enjoy creating interdisciplinary projects for my students. I am a multimedia artist myself, so naturally my choice of study has also shaped the way I approach creating art in my day to day life.” 

Kelli’s memories on campus are plentiful and special to her. One of her favorite times on campus was around early in the morning, before sunrise, when the world was totally quiet. Kelli said, “I would go to different places on campus with my guitar or a book. I would enjoy the fresh air and watch the world wake up slowly around me. I used to go to different rooms in the art building (my studio space was well cherished), the gardens, Hechenbleikner Lake, the high floors of the library, even the top of the parking decks! Every morning, rain or shine, I would watch the sunrise from *somewhere* and it would start my day off right.”

Now an art teacher at Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte, Kelli currently teaches AP Art History and all levels of ceramics. She also still works as an independent artist, developing her portfolio and exhibiting locally in Charlotte.

As a new teacher and the only teacher at her school who teaches ceramics and AP Art History courses, she has really enjoyed diving deep into different ways to organize the year, lesson planning, making example projects, and researching to refresh herself on the media/topics she teaches. “I’ve also found that poetry, literature, and history have become a driving force in my own artwork and personal study. I’ve been working toward a body of work to apply for a solo show next year. I don’t want to spoil it, since it’s all very new, but I will say that it is a mix of things I love to create and things I’ve never tried before!”

Kelli’s advice for current students: “Remember who you are. Remember what you stand for. Lead by example. Be open to change, have courage, and above all, be kind.”