Laura Lucas

Laura Lucas

Professional Artist and an instructor at Holt School of Fine Art, Pineville, NC

Education: BFA in Painting with a minor in Art History, UNC Charlotte (2023)
Hometown: Hong Kong, China, and Waxhaw, NC

Laura Lucas’s mother was an artist, so she was surrounded by creativity her whole life, and when she decided to pursue art as a career, her mother is her biggest cheerleader.  

“I remember her taking me to the Hong Kong Art Expo (Laura lived in Hong Kong until age 12), opening my eyes to the art world which inspired me to pursue art as a career and not just a hobby, although it still took me a year of being undecided in university before making a commitment.”

The education Laura received at UNC Charlotte sharpened her artistic focus, and she found her passion for painting and conceptual work. “Before attending UNC Charlotte’s art program, I loved to draw but wasn’t intentional about my work. After taking various art courses and attending artist lectures, I learned about the direction I wanted for my work and the importance of putting myself out there.”

During her time at UNC Charlotte she was supported by the Roderick MacKillop Merit Scholarship and the Nila Kannan Arts Scholarship and was regularly recognized on the Chancellor’s List. She also was awarded an area award in painting and the department’s Senior of the Year Award, in recognition of her work and leadership.

Laura made many memories here at UNC Charlotte, and most of those memories are from her time in the Rowe Arts building. “The environment in Rowe was so warm and inviting. I have fond memories of my first painting class with Professor Andrew Leventis. It was the first time I had painted with oils and I fell in love with the medium. Andrew has been an important mentor to me and I will always treasure his support in my artistic practice.” Laura also expressed having a wonderful experience learning from professors Anna Kenar and Maja Godlewska. “Experimenting with abstraction and printmaking has left an impressionable mark on my artistic practice,” she says.

Currently Laura is an instructor at Holt School of Fine Art in Pineville, NC, where she teaches youth classes for ages 8-18, covering a wide spectrum of media, such as watercolor, oil painting, charcoal, and pastel. It’s a tailored art program, which allows her to work with her students one on one. “Everyone on the team is a dedicated artist, so I am always learning something new.” 

Since graduation Laura has been working on a new painting series titled “No Place” and a children’s book  she has written and illustrated, which will be published in 2025! To follow along with her progress check out her Instagram @lauralucasart.

Her advice for current students:  “Take the time to self-reflect. Think about what you want to express with your work and research artists that explore those interests, both visually and conceptually. Try not to rush into a project idea because you think it is what others will like or will give you good marks on. Make what you want to make and stand by it. As long as you know what your work is about and can articulate it well, that is all that matters; I have Professor Anna Kenar to thank for this advice as well as many other conversations and insights that supported my choices and helped me personally and artistically.”