Susan Jedrzejewski

Susan Jedrzejewski

Art Consultant at at Hodges Taylor

Education:
BA in Studio Art, Concentration in Drawing and Printmaking, Art History Minor, UNC Charlotte (2006)
MBA in Business Administration, Concentration in Leadership and Change, Queens University of Charlotte (2016)

Hometown: Battle Creek, MI

Growing up, Susan Jedrzejewski participated in a wide range of arts, including dancing and playing the piano and flute, and she constantly had drawing supplies in hand. However, it wasn’t until she enrolled at UNC Charlotte to study business that she realized how essential the arts were to her. 

“Their absence in my studies made me keenly aware of what I was missing,” she says. “This realization led me to pivot towards a career in the arts—a decision that has profoundly shaped my life ever since.”

One of the most influential factors for Susan was the faculty. Lori McMahon stands out as a key influence for her. “She encouraged me to apply for an internship at Waterworks Visual Arts Center, which led to my hiring as an independent contractor after graduation. This opportunity laid the foundation for my career, leading to my first full-time position at the McColl Center, where I worked for 11 years.”

Susan also stresses what a pivotal experience it was working with a visiting artist-in-residence from the McColl Center. This experience introduced her to residency programs and sparked her passion for supporting the development of other artists. Later, as co-director of Goodyear Arts from 2019 to 2021, Susan helped establish an ongoing partnership between UNC Charlotte and Goodyear Arts. This initiative provided students and recent graduates with opportunities to further develop their artistic practices outside the university at a vibrant artist-led, grass-roots organization that showcases the work of resident and visiting artists working in the fields of visual, literary, and performing arts.

“The program at UNC Charlotte was characterized by such opportunities, providing not just an academic curriculum but also fostering real-world connections and practical experiences. The professors were more than educators; they were mentors and invaluable gateways to the professional art world.”

After graduating from UNC Charlotte and working, she further understood the importance of integrating arts into broader contexts, so she returned to school to earn her MBA. “This experience equipped me with the skills to navigate the intersection of arts and business, enhancing my ability to facilitate arts-based initiatives that enrich human experience.”

Since 2018, Susan has worked at Hodges Taylor, an art consulting firm in Charlotte. As part of a small but mighty two-person team, she provides full-service art consulting services for spaces both public and private, guiding clients through comprehensive planning, acquisition, and installation. 

She has also recently returned to creating. “Returning to the studio after a nearly decade-long hiatus has been a revitalizing experience, allowing me to explore new directions and gain traction in my practice. I’m delving into ideas of proximity, particularly the comfort found within controlled environments that emulate the natural world. Drawing inspiration from curated pockets of nature, such as domesticated houseplants, grocery store bouquets, botanical conservatories, and manicured parks, I am captivated by the security these objects and spaces evoke.”

Susan’s work will be featured in the Department of Art & Art History’s 60th anniversary exhibition, Generations

“I’m thrilled to be participating in the upcoming Generations show. Being invited by (retired professor) Lili Corbus is an honor, and I am deeply grateful for her belief in my potential and genuine interest in my professional growth. Her support has provided immense confidence and encouragement, and our relationship has grown into a cherished friendship that enriches my life both personally and professionally.”

Her advice for current students: “Stay persistent in your creative journey. Embody a relentless pursuit of exploration and development to evolve and refine your practice.”